Tuesday, December 15, 2009

This conference is full of acronyms. In the corridor on the way out, you go past the rooms of various delegations, with their names on the doors. It borders on the surreal: IPO, ENGO, BINGO, TUNGO, RINGO and FARMERS.

I'm beginning to get the hang of it Indigenous Peoples' Organisation, Environmental Non Govt Org, Business and Industry NGOs, Trade Union NGOs. Haven't worked out who RINGOs are though and I presume FARMERS plough the land!

I forgive my hotel everything. The free breakfast includes black bread and two types of pickled herring!

I've learnt to my great frustration that on Sunday I missed Desmond Tutu and thousands of others who were just round the corner at City Hall Sq handing over a petition of over 500,000 to UNFCC chief Yvo de Boer.

They say he was brilliant:

"Hello rich countries - wake up! It's cheap to finance climate debt. $150B a year will do it."